Monday, September 17, 2012

You sound like you're afraid of what people will think.

Depression: 4
Anxiety: 7

The session:

I've had a wicked headache all weekend leading into today. I can't tell if I'm more frustrated or in pain.

However, that's besides the point. I started this blog to be able to express myself and share my experiences. But now that I'm blogging and actually have followers (Wow! Hi!), I'm wondering how personal is too personal. I wrote a post last week that's about "The Event" and now I can't decide if I should post it or not. It is by far the most personal thing that has ever happened to me in my entire life and I'm struggling with if transparency or TMI is winning out.

Part of it is that I worry what people will think. No doubt we've all made controversial decisions in our lives, but who wants to be called out on it over the interwebs?! And it's not like I'd advocate everyone to make the same decision, and in face, they're decisions I'm still struggling with.

So. What do you guys think? How personal is too personal?

2 comments:

  1. This is something that I have been struggling with on my blog as well but for differant reasons. I have family who sporadically read my blog and some things I would like to share involve them or how I feel about things they do/have done. I personally am not ready to have the conflicts involved with such posts so I avoid them.. for now.
    I think that if you are still struggling over posting "The Event" you should wait.
    I think that you posting about The Event should be a weight off your shoulders and not an additional thing to stress over.
    We, The readers may not get the entire picture. But just because one peice, even a big peice, of a puzzle is missing doesnt mean we couldnt figure out the basics of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went home and talked about it with my husband and we both agreed that I should post it. He was the one I was concerned about and I wanted to make sure he was ok with it. But your comment definitely prompted me to evaluate why I was doing it and address what was making me nervous! Thanks for your help :)

    ReplyDelete